Sunday, March 18, 2012

On happy routines and the farmers market

It's nice to step back and appreciate the small things. I did a lot of that this weekend. The weather was beautiful, both days the kind that beg you to begin noticing your surroundings again after months of rushing from point a to point b. Blossoms are everywhere and the air is fragrant with spring's beginnings. I don’t remember DC being so beautiful last year, but then again I’ve warmed to the city considerably in recent months, and I think I’m more willing on the whole to absorb the good things here.  

I went on my first real run through the city in a long time, and had my first trip of the season to the farmers market, though admittedly it was the second attempt of the weekend. I think I was just so happy to be wearing short sleeves outside that I managed to convince myself the market would be open on Saturday. My enthusiasm translated to me mixing the days up, and considering that I made Jake walk the mile plus with me, I think it’ll be a little while before I live that one down. But the morning wasn't wasted, as the walk there was lovely. 

I returned by myself early this morning (after double checking the hours…) and took my time walking through it, savoring all the vendors I hadn’t seen for months. The Dupont market stays open year round, but I tend to tire of apples and cold weather, so I wait until the spring yields a little more bounty and warmth. Sliding back into my beloved routine was so exciting.

That sounds like a contradiction, or like I’m very boring, but the hour I spend at the market with my hands buried in piles of tender greens and my nose overwhelmed by all manor of fresh goodness is one of the best parts of my week. I fall in love with the bright colors, the abundance of babies and dogs, the knowledgable chatty vendors and of course the generous samples. Even though it’s only March, I can almost taste the sweet corn and I pine for sticky hands full of peach juice. But in the mean time, here's what today looked like...

baby lettuce
beautiful rainbow chard

more of the beautiful chard. so colorful!


peach blossoms...who knew?!

more blossoms...

and of course apples

tulips...some of my favorites
And lastly, breakfast was sour dough with strawberry jalapeno jam, maple
cured bacon and runny free range eggs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment